We are in full swing of the 2018 Hurricane Season. It's been very quiet so far and weather has been great. As we all hope that there will be no serious storm that comes our way, it's best that we be prepared well ahead of any storm that comes and have all process in place to ensure your family is safe and your personal property is protected. The short list below will give you some insight:
• Stocking a household hurricane kit is a lot like preparing for a survivalist camping trip. Stock up on what you need to stay both comfortable and safe in a worst-case scenario. Keep everything in a durable, waterproof tote that’s easy to grab at a moment’s notice.
• A good rule of thumb is to stockpile enough food and supplies to sustain each family member for 3 to 7 days without any outside assistance. Bottle 7 gallons of water per person — enough to provide each person with a gallon of water a day for a week. That’s in case water supplies become contaminated.
• There’s another way to stay liquid: Withdraw plenty of cash long before any forecasted storms knock out the power to ATMs in your area.
• Emergency food stores, including pet food, baby food, infant formula and other dietary items, should be replaced every 6 months. Look for high-calorie, non-refrigerated food items like peanut butter, powdered sports drinks high in electrolytes and protein bars to help maintain energy in humid conditions.
• If your food supplies include canned goods, then none of that will help you and your family if you forget to pack a manual can opener.
• Be sure to refresh any bags pre-packed with clothes, pillows, sleeping bags and other comfort items you would want to take with you in the event of an evacuation.
From a homeowner/property owners perspective, ensure that you know and have located all shutter materials. Contact your Insurance companies and verify that your coverages are up to date. If you live in a flood zone area, stock up on sandbags now and store them in a place where you can set them up and avoid the long lines. Scan and upload important documents to your desired email clouds, so you can access them anywhere you travel and have internet access.
As always, continue to live Ambitiously Empowered and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me!